Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Do something creative every day

AVOCADO Oil Pastel  

There are so many things that demand our time; our family, church, friends, etc. but I have an emptiness inside if I am not creative. Waiting for the perfect time, or perfect studio only heightens my frustration.  So, start where you are and use what you have.  To that end, I have an art table in the kitchen and have a goal to work on something every day.  I'm not insisting that I finish a project each day, but I will work on something everyday.


I have wonderful little drawings everywhere, in notebooks, on the back of grocery lists, receipts or envelopes.Unfortunately, a lot of these nice drawings get lost. I decided to start working in a 3 1/2" x 5" Mixed Media Journal by Strathmore.  I cut black construction paper to fit the pages and use Cray-Pas or Sennelier Oil Pastels. Cray-Pas Pastels are inexpensive and have nice colors. If you find you like working with oil pastels,  Sennelier pastels are wonderfully creamy and have very good coverage.


I wanted to take everyday things and show their beauty. One of my favorite artists is Charles Hawthorne.
Anything under the sun is beautiful if you have the vision - it is the seeing of the thing that makes it so...people are subconsciously interested in the expression of beauty, something that helps them through the humdrum day...makes them believe in the beauty and the glory of human existence.  Hawthorne On Painting.

If you want to become a better artist, practice, always be a student, always searching and looking for the unexpected.



No comments:

Post a Comment